Thursday, May 6, 2010

Always be prepared ...

Last week was really interesting, but last Thursday was particularly notable. My supervisor at SIM, Leslie Nease, asked me a few weeks back if I would like to accompany her to a luncheon that is put on by the Charlotte Christian Chamber (CCC). It's a networking gathering that gives Christian business people and non-profit workers a chance to interact and help each other out. Although I am not one to jump at these kinds of things, I thought it would be a good experience and well, I will try almost anything at least once, so I said "Sure, I'll go with you and see what it's like."

So the day came and I went to my first CCC luncheon—alone. Leslie told me Wednesday that something important had come up and she wouldn't be able to make it, but would I still go? "Ummm, yeah," I said. "I can do that." So Thursday came around and off I went. How bad could it be? I, the introvert, just had to go, eat, and socialize with 100 people that I didn't know. No problem!

I arrived a few minutes late. When I walked in, people were seated. I was directed to a table in the corner ... a very empty table. All of the chairs were propped up on their front legs and leaning against the table ... you know the universal sign that tells you, "Don't sit here." "Oh," I thought, "just my luck." The only thing worse than hanging with a bunch of people I don't know is having to sit all ALONE in the midst of a bunch of people that I don't know! I spied an empty seat at another table, but when I tapped the guy in the adjacent seat on the arm and asked if that seat was taken, he told me it was. "Oh ok, I'll just sit over here then," I said. "With ALL my friends," I thought to myself.

Just as I sat down, a local pastor started praying. By the time I looked up again, I thankfully had some company. I was feeling pretty good. The MC started talking, I wasn't paying much attention though—I was still working though the nerves! But soon I hear, "I know Leslie isn't going to be here today, but is there anyone here to stand in for her?" My ears snapped to attention at the mention of a familiar name and I shyly raised my hand. "Oh great, yeah come on up here." Uh-oh. "Oh no, I am going to have to say something!!" Yes, they were introducing those who had recently decided to become "partners" of the CCC.

I went to the back of the room opposite the stage with a number of other new partners. We were asked to introduce ourselves and tell a little bit about what we do. The fact that I wasn't first gave me time to think and calm my nerves ... AGAIN! Then, way too soon, the mic was passed to me. "Hi," I said, "My name is NOT Leslie Nease and it looks like she really set me up!!" The laughter helped me get through the rest of my comments about working alongside Leslie in the SIM International Communication Department to share with the world what God is doing through SIM missionaries in the 50+ countries in which we work.

Leslie and I had a good laugh when I got back to the office. She tells me she had no idea they were going to do that ... but I'm not so sure. ;)

3 comments:

  1. haha!! You are too funny, Michelle. I REALLY didn't know that was going to happen - but I'm glad it did because I think it proved to you that you can do all things through Him who gives you strength! :) You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good story, you had me on the edge of my seat. Did you make some friends at that table when the empty chairs were finally sat in?

    dac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - how I can relate!!

    ReplyDelete